Samba3 + WinXP problem

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 27 22:07:27 UTC 2006

Hi all,

   I've got a very frustrating problem at one of my job's client's
networks that I administer. It seems that, come heck or high water,
Windows XP (SP2) insists that a domain user who is added to the local
machine's Administrator group will only get Guest privileges.

  This causes problems because the only way I can install software (inc.
updates) is to login to the local machine instead of the domain. I have
tried switching between tdbsam and smbpasswd backends, I have remapped
my groups several times... I am stumped.

   If anyone is clueful on this, I would be *very* greatful as the
client is getting impatient and I am feeling the pressure.

Thanks all!

Madison (who really hates all things windows... *sigh* ;) ).

PS - If it helps, I'll post my smb.conf file (or anything else
potentially helpful).