Articles mentioned at NewTLUG last night

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 27 20:05:09 UTC 2006

--- Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At the NewTLUG meeting I mentioned some articles
> that some people might
> find of interest:
>
> "Is Debian dying?"
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7543606709.html

Yawn, sigh, groan...

I recently (re-)ran across an article where a Toronto
Free-Net board member was talking about how the
Toronto Free-Net was just about about to go under.
Said article was written 10 years ago, and the Toronto
Free-Net is still around. Yes, the Toronto Free-Net
had problems then, and it has problems today, but as
long as there are enough people that care a lot about
the project it will continue.

My take is that yes Debian has some internal political
issues that may be a bit messy, but there are more
than enough people that CARE about doing things the
"right and proper" way things that will carry on.

In other words, if I had to bet money on which Linux
Distro. is most likely to be around, and actively
supported 10 years from now my money would be on
Debian. My money would also be on Debian for 10 years
from now:

- Airing dirty laundy in public.
- Being slow to release.
- Having one of the uglier presentation spaces.
- Having one of the uglier install systems.
- Having ROCK solid reliable code.

In other words warts and all (and it has a few) I
expect I will continue to like Debian.

Colin McGregor