hel[ tracking down two pesky problems

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 25 18:23:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Matt Price wrote:

> 2) some process grabs /dev/dsp when I suspend/resume.  Often (but not

Use fuser and lsof to diagnose what is grabbing the file.

My wife is running Ubuntu Dapper on her laptop and she had the a similar
problem (in her case it may or may not have been related to suspension).
I determined that it was esd which was starting and grabbing /dev/dsp
periodically.  I suspect some app she was starting was kicking off esd and
causing the problem.  Tracking down this app was proving difficult so one
day I did a chmod a-x on esd as a work around as she wasn't using it for
anything anyway. That was about 3 weeks ago and the problem has not
occured since I did the chmod.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073