Playing videos

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 23 02:07:18 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 19:52, Erebus wrote:
> OK. Here's the thing. I can watch MPEGs (stored on my hard drive) in
> Kaffeine (I'm running Kubuntu 6.06) but when I go to run:
>
> 1) .avi's - It says that it is running but nothing is visible on the
> screen (it's like a totally black video when Kaffeine shows it)
> 2) .asf's - it says "A problem occur while loading a library or a
> decoder: wmvdmod.dll"
> 3) Realmedia Files - KDE asks which app to use to run this file type and
> I tell it "kaffeine" and then nothing ever happens
> 4) .wmv's - same error as with .asf's
>
> Thanks in advance. Solving this problem would put me another great leap
> forward towards never needing to use Windows again (my ultimate goal).

Use automatix to install the required codecs, and players. vlc Media Player
plays all of the above without issues.
http://www.getautomatix.com/

What Automatix offers:
http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Software_and_Tweaks

Easy installation method:

add the following to your sources.list
deb http://www.getautomatix.com/apt dapper main

then run #sudo apt-get install automatix

Automatix will show up in your system menu.

--
Jason Shein
Detached Networks
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org