[OT] Are there any JavaScript User Groups in Southern Ontario?

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 22 00:02:02 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 22:05, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> On 9/20/06, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Recently, I have been quite active with JavaScript - need simply at my
> > work. This is a messy language. But it offers so many possibilities now
> > in developing outstanding web applications. Hence, I would be interested
> > in participating in a mailing list like that one proposed by Scott. I am
> > not sure if through my level of understanding I would be able to
> > contribute - possibly I would.
>
> Who knows until the question has been asked?  =)
>
> And besides, even if you don't someone else might.  Or they might have
> an idea that leads to a solution.  That's why I'm always going off
> about communications and community I guess.
>
> Any, here's the question I posted to comp.languages.javascript:
>
> [-- quote begins --]
> Hi all,
>
> I've spent several days trying to work this out.  Maybe I'm just
> searching for the wrong keywords/phrases.
>
> I have some code that looks like:
>
> [-- snippet starts --]
> Console = new Object();
> Console.init = function() {
>  this.STDIN = document.getElementById('console0_stdin');
>  this.STDOUT = document.getElementById('console0_stdout');
>
>  // set styles on the element references, eg:
>  this.STDIN.style.width = '100%';
>  this.STDOUT.style.width = '100%';
> }
>
> Console.focus = function() {
>  this.STDIN.focus();
> }
>
> Console.writeln = function(buffer) {
>  this.STDOUT.value += "\n" + buffer;
> }
>
> [-- snippet ends --]
>
> I'm not sure why, but the Console.focus() and Console.writeln() methods
> just don't seem to be able to use the DOM references stored in
> Console.STDIN and Console.STDOUT.  Everything's fine in the
> constructor, but other methods can't seem to use them.
>
> Any ideas?  TIA

I guess you force me to learn better OOP in JavaScript? ;)

Ideas? Not really so far. Perhaps a browser issue? Did you try on various
browsers?

My experience is that JavaScript works differently on every browser;) Not only
because of differences or ambiguity in implementing JavaScript or DOM but
also due to a number of bugs in any browser.

zb.