[OT] Are there any JavaScript User Groups in Southern Ontario?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 21 02:05:13 UTC 2006

On 9/20/06, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Recently, I have been quite active with JavaScript - need simply at my work.
> This is a messy language. But it offers so many possibilities now in
> developing outstanding web applications. Hence, I would be interested in
> participating in a mailing list like that one proposed by Scott. I am not
> sure if through my level of understanding I would be able to contribute -
> possibly I would.

Who knows until the question has been asked?  =)

And besides, even if you don't someone else might.  Or they might have
an idea that leads to a solution.  That's why I'm always going off
about communications and community I guess.

Any, here's the question I posted to comp.languages.javascript:

[-- quote begins --]
Hi all,

I've spent several days trying to work this out.  Maybe I'm just
searching for the wrong keywords/phrases.

I have some code that looks like:

[-- snippet starts --]
Console = new Object();
Console.init = function() {
 this.STDIN = document.getElementById('console0_stdin');
 this.STDOUT = document.getElementById('console0_stdout');

 // set styles on the element references, eg:
 this.STDIN.style.width = '100%';
 this.STDOUT.style.width = '100%';
}

Console.focus = function() {
 this.STDIN.focus();
}

Console.writeln = function(buffer) {
 this.STDOUT.value += "\n" + buffer;
}

[-- snippet ends --]

I'm not sure why, but the Console.focus() and Console.writeln() methods
just don't seem to be able to use the DOM references stored in
Console.STDIN and Console.STDOUT.  Everything's fine in the
constructor, but other methods can't seem to use them.

Any ideas?  TIA

- Scott
 http://atomos.sourceforge.net/
[-- quote ends --]

> Perhaps someone around running servers would be willing to create a mailing
> list of that kind?

Actually, I could (maybe - would have to ask) handle that through the
Atomic OS setup using sourceforge, I think.

> In any case you may try to ask me to solve your problems.

Thanks for your help.  If you're interested in what's going on in
comp.languages.javascript, you can find it at:

http://tinyurl.com/md5rk
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/80fe7ac111dc8441/324018101d1419f1#324018101d1419f1

--
Scott Elcomb
http://atomos.sourceforge.net/

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle,
stand like a rock."

  - Thomas Jefferson