Linux laptops

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 12 17:13:50 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, paul sutton <zleap-Tp5KeRqLOeNeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was looking for laptop stores in toronto and found this
>
> http://www.computation.to/
>
> if you goto specials then laptops they offer Linux on refurbished
> computers,  as an alternatve to windows, I thought the group would be
> interested in this.
>
> They mainly have IBM thinkpads which is what I have,  but i got mine
> from a different store.
>
> This company also offers recycling services,  which may be of interest
> to other members of the group,  so we can all do our bit to help the
> environment and at the same time add new life to older but working
> computers,  and perhaps help close the digital divide further.
>
> Hope this is useful.

I just dropped in on this store at lunch time, and though it's well
signposted, you do have to walk to the end of an alley to get to this place.
You can tell you've arrived because there's a stack of old cases stacked up
just inside the door. The place is crammed with used equipment.

I saw about half a dozen laptops setup, two running Windows XP, and one
running OS X. There may have been Linux laptops lying around, but they
either weren't on display or weren't turned on.

The store also has a large supply of used screens (most below $75), used PCs
(no prices) and used printers (most below $200, many labelled 'Perfect').

There were two guys working in the store, sitting at their desks, neither of
whom seemed inclined to engage me in conversation. I browsed for five
minutes, then walked out.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario