Audio DVD?

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 9 18:17:14 UTC 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 13:45, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Most dvd players don't support DVD-Audio disks (whatever they are).
> DVD's do not support the audio format CDs use (audio CDs use just around
> 2400 bytes per block with some ECC code, while data CDs use 2048 bytes
> per block with the extra bytes used for a lot more ECC code since data
> has to be right while audio just has to be mostly right when read).
> DVDs are always using full data blocks and have no concept of an audio
> disk.  Some players can play wav or mp3 or other audio files stored on a
> DVD, but it isn't part of the DVD spec.
>
> --
Hello Lennart

How do you keep so much information in that encyclopedia between your ears?

Thanks very much,  an explanation that adds to my limited knowledge.  I
gathered that audio CD's were more like tape, no filesystem and just blocks
of data [audio]  with something called CDR in the mix. Now I have ECC
something or other.  I have yet to find a resource dealing with all these
digital audio basics.   In my ignorance I hoped a DVD was a 12" LP disk
compared to a 10".  Obviously the DVD electronics are quite different from
CD.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can