Audio DVD?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 8 17:45:49 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 08:24:29PM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
> Audio-newbie here,
>
> I have just started doing what my 8 yr old granddaughter can do, make audio
> CD's. No problem with my LP.'s.
>
> I have some collections on tape which will not fit on a CD,  I haven't found
> any information yet  whether this is feasable using a DVD disk.  If I use a
> DVD  then I assume I could only use a DVD player for playback.
>
> K3b doesn't give this as a possibility, perhaps the command line?

Most dvd players don't support DVD-Audio disks (whatever they are).
DVD's do not support the audio format CDs use (audio CDs use just around
2400 bytes per block with some ECC code, while data CDs use 2048 bytes
per block with the extra bytes used for a lot more ECC code since data
has to be right while audio just has to be mostly right when read).
DVDs are always using full data blocks and have no concept of an audio
disk.  Some players can play wav or mp3 or other audio files stored on a
DVD, but it isn't part of the DVD spec.

--
Len Sorensen