Hardware experiences?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 9 04:27:59 UTC 2006

Peter King wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a new machine -- so I'm interested in any
> Linux war stories, good or bad, with the following hardware:
>
>   AMD Athlon 64 X2 (dual core)

A 64-bit OS is good. If this is for a desktop, keep in mind that the
Adobe Flash player and the Windows media codecs don't work under 64-bit.
I have no idea if they work on 64-bit hardware running a 32-bit OS.

>   Asus M2V Socket AM2 (Via K8T890) motherboard

I think I use something similar, without problem.

>   Asus EN7300GS GeForce 7300GS video card

To future-proof yourself, make sure that you get a video card that will
support XGL hardware acceleration.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Video_Card_Support_Under_XGL
It says that the 7300GS is supported.

> I expect to run Gentoo, to get the full 64-bit environment for the
> Athlon, and because I have to do something with the spare processor
> cycles ;-)

Don't forget to invest in a decent case. I heartily recommend Antec;
their Sonata II case is the best one I've ever owned. Good cooling, good
power, attention to detail (like rubber mounts for the hard drives), and
really quiet. Check out the reviews.

- Evan