Hardware experiences?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 8 17:21:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 02:25:07PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a new machine -- so I'm interested in any
> Linux war stories, good or bad, with the following hardware:
>
>   AMD Athlon 64 X2 (dual core)

They just had another price chop recently.  Makes them look nicer again.

>   Asus M2V Socket AM2 (Via K8T890) motherboard

As far as I have been able to tell so far, I think the nvidia chipsets
are the fastest/best for athlon 64 at this time, with the via being the
second best choice.  So probably a decent choice.

>   Asus EN7300GS GeForce 7300GS video card

That should work fine too, although don't expect fast 3D on it (I doubt
you are expecting that from a low end card anyhow).

> I expect to run Gentoo, to get the full 64-bit environment for the
> Athlon, and because I have to do something with the spare processor
> cycles ;-)

Ehm, OK then.  You could also let it idle and save on your power bill
instead, not to mention your own time and sanity.

--
Len Sorensen