Hardware experiences?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 8 17:40:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 01:58:35PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> It seems that all AM2 socket has DDR2 support.  I am considering
>
>     1.	- Sempron (AM2/2800+), $48
> 	- DDR2-800 (2x512), $140
> 	- Asus M2N-MX (AM2/nVidia), $99

So modern cpu socket with upgrade future.  Modern ram you will be able
to get for many years. Gigabit ethernet, SATA 2, etc.

>     2.	- P4-541 (3.2GHz/800MHz), $109
> 	- DDR-400 (2x512/2-3-2-5), $155
> 	- Asus P5GL-MX (915GL/ICH6), $80

Ram that will slowly be discontinued, and will become harder to upgrade.
Energy wasting cpu, and most likely a mainboard with no future upgrade
potential.  100Mbit ethernet, SATA 1, etc.

> So, it's about the same price.  And, they are the cheapest in Toronto.

Same price, different features, and different generation of hardware.

> It all comes down to chipset.  I'm more comfortable with Intel chipset
> than nVidia.  I would be very interested in hearing any first-hand
> experiences about nVidia + Linux, since all I hear is nVidia + Windows.

nvidia chipsets and linux generally just work perfectly.  ATI is a very
different story.

--
Len Sorensen