Linux may lose its chance of competing with Microsoft after the 64bit revolution gets underway

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 1 04:35:03 UTC 2006

On 8/26/06, Kush <be_a_sport-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This is a sobering scenario.
>
>  Eric Raymond on desktop Linux
>  Desktop Linux - USA
>  Analysis -- Eric S. Raymond is one of the founders of open-source, and a
> good deal of Linux's early popularity came from his non-stop beating of the
> drum for ...
>
> Linux Guru: Desktop Window Closing
>  Red Herring - CA,USA
>  Eric Raymond on winning over the iPod generation, why Linux advocates don't
> have much time to beat Microsoft, and the need for open source to conquer
> hearts ...

I disagree. With 64Bit processing and multicore processors, Linux
right now has the clear advantage. Microsoft's OSes (Vista included)
do not make good use of either of these technologies. Anyone who's run
both 64Bit Windows and 64Bit Linux will I am sure will agree with me
that Linux is a much more mature 64Bit solution.

While Microsoft has the large user base, Linux right now has the
technological lead and I don't see them loosing it any time soon.

--
Mark Lane, CET <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>