Rogers and BitTorrent: another datapoint

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 28 17:23:28 UTC 2006

Any programmer that only knows one language well isn't worth the time of
day. A decent programmer is going to be able to look at the problem,
determine if OO is a good fit or not, and use any of a number of languages
they know well, both OO and not, to solve the problem.

People that rail against Java - or any language - as not being a good fit
for everything under the sun or for being the latest 'fad' in computers
(despite being 15 years old) seem to have missed something important. I
wouldn't ask a contractor to build me a house with only a hammer, so there's
no reason why programmers should feel compelled to use only a single tool.

I'm not being a Java apologist here, I'm just glad that I understand both
the OO and the procedural paradigms, and that I know both C and Java (in
addition to others) equally well. I think that these skills and the ability
to know when to apply which ones will make me much more valuable to any
potential employers than a programmer hellbent on sticking to the one
language he/she knows.