MythTV install workshop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 26 13:54:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 10:40:02PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Canada Computers has been a reasonable place to get Hauppauge cards.
>   http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=CC.344
> For example, they were one of the few places I've seen the PVR-500.
> Too bad that they appear to have no PVR-500 in stock.

I got my PVR500 there some months ago.

> Filtech seems to list these cards now.  The site does not seem to know
> about stock http://www.filtechcomputer.com/index.php#TV%20Tuner
>
> Beware: some Hauppauge cards come with remote controls and some don't.
> My myth to explain this is that WinXP MCE mandates a system-wide
> remote control standard and so it may mean that it sometimes makes
> sense to leave it out of the individual card bundle.

I specifically got the 500 because I thought two tuners in one pci slot
with one cable connector was handy, and my choice of case includes a
remote (which can also be bought seperately with a 5-1/4" drive bay IR
receiver/ 16x2 line display).

> Windows XP MCE only supports a limited variety of cards (perhaps MS
> demands a cut). As far as I know, this does not include the Adaptec
> card, and this is probably why it is being blown out so cheaply.
> (Even I "own" a copy of WinXP MCE -- it is bundled with a lot of PCs.)

Well microsoft wants you to use their remote with their interface, which
of course means any remote that isn't like their interface expects would
be a pain.  My remote does seem like it was based on the requirements of
MCE though given it has 'my *' buttons for all sorts of stuff, along
with the ability to be used as a mouse.  I should start working on
mapping all the remote buttons to useful things in mythtv.

--
Len Sorensen