MythTV install workshop?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 26 02:40:02 UTC 2006

| From: Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| Of further note, in last week's "24 Hours" newspaper
| there was Factory Direct coupon for the Adaptec
| AVC-2410 PCI TV tuner card ($29.99 with coupon, limit
| 2).

Their email ad included a coupon for this, limit 1 per customer.
  http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/combo_spec.php?pcode=FC7040&id=104
If you are going to go anyway, you might as well have the rest of the
coupons:
  http://www.factorydirect.ca/email_html/061020_FS.htm

They may be out of these tuners.  Their North York store was out on
Monday even though the online inventory showed 4.  They said one
should always phone ahead (the guy ahead of me had phoned in but got
no answer).

I found that the card can actually use the same firmware as the
Hauppauge PVR 150 and 250.  You can see my notes sprinkled in
  http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Adaptec_AVC-2410
In particular, all I needed was to add this to /etc/modprobe.conf:
  option tuner ignore=-1,0x6b

| Only issues I have seen with the Adaptec card centre
| around the remote.

I have not tried LIRC with it.

================

Canada Computers has been a reasonable place to get Hauppauge cards.
  http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=CC.344
For example, they were one of the few places I've seen the PVR-500.
Too bad that they appear to have no PVR-500 in stock.

Filtech seems to list these cards now.  The site does not seem to know
about stock http://www.filtechcomputer.com/index.php#TV%20Tuner

Beware: some Hauppauge cards come with remote controls and some don't.
My myth to explain this is that WinXP MCE mandates a system-wide
remote control standard and so it may mean that it sometimes makes
sense to leave it out of the individual card bundle.

Windows XP MCE only supports a limited variety of cards (perhaps MS
demands a cut). As far as I know, this does not include the Adaptec
card, and this is probably why it is being blown out so cheaply.
(Even I "own" a copy of WinXP MCE -- it is bundled with a lot of PCs.)