MythTV install workshop?

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 25 18:44:05 UTC 2006

--- David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> On 25/10/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > I spoke to David Patrick down at Linuxcaffe this
> > morning, and we are going to go with a KnoppMyth
> > install event starting Sunday November 5th, 11:00
> AM -
> > to say 3:00 PM. This will be at Linuxcaffe 326
> Harbord
> > Street (nearest subway stop is Christie, about a
> 10
> > minute walk away). The focus of this will be to do
> > hands on event, doing actual installs. Now here is
> > hoping that we don't get say 50 people showing up
> at
> > this as Linuxcaffe is a small place... If you do
> want
> > to be at this installfest please e-mail me so if
> it
> > looks like we will be short on space we can start
> > making alternate plans.
>
> I went to post the event on our website calendar,
> and now see that the
> Ruby programmers will be having their
> first-Sunday-of-the-month
> meeting from 1pm-3pm.
> Now we /have/ had events and user groups happily
> coincide, but I
> suspect this MythTV magic will warrant completely
> overtaking the shop.
> Do we pick another date/ time ?

Yes, I spoke with David and I gather we should be good
with Saturday November 4th at 11:00 PM (in other words
move everything up by one day).

> the calendar is here
> http://www.linuxcaffe.ca/event
> and I would be open to going beyond our normal hours
> http://www.linuxcaffe.ca/hours
> It's something we've wanted to do since forever,
> and can accommodate with power, connectivity and
> projector
> what'ya think ?

Things that I see as a must are:

- Space for PCs (for the sake of argument 5 machines)
- Power to power those 5 machines
- 1-2 monitors (some folks (me being one) are crazy
enough to carry a PC on TTC, but monitors are another
issue)

Very Desirable:

- Connectivity (so folks can get set-up with Zap2It,
the firm that provides free TV schedule data for
MythTV users)

Nice, but:

- Video projector (unless one wants to count that as
one of monitors :-) , talk about big screen TV :-) ).
- Video Camera