open source on dotto tech and g4-tech

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 24 15:23:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 09:43:06PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> I had the fortune to exchange views with Steve Dotto about two years
> ago, while we were both waiting to be interviewed on CP24's "HomePage"
> segment.
>
> I asked Dotto why he never mentioned Linux on his show. He said he'd be
> glad to as soon as Linux paid him to do so.

That really explains the format of the show.  Every presentation always
seemed like an infomertial for the product being "tested".  It always
seemed odd to me in a way, and for some reason it never occoured to me
that it was all just due to money.  He never seems to have anything
negative to say about a product even when something is obviously very
stupid about what is being shown.

So he is all about making money, and not at all about making computer
users better off.  Good to know.  I will add him to the list of people
to ignore (along with for example John C. Dvorak.)

> Yeah, that was how he said it. As if "Linux" was a company.
>
> The conversation didn't go very well after that. I think he'd taken
> exception to my use of the phrase "media whore".
>
> Thanks to that conversation Dotto's shows have all been, to me, nothing
> but infomercials.
>
> OTOH, Marcel has been a semi-regular on G4's "Call for Help":
> http://tuxspot.blogspot.com/2006/04/marcel-gagne-on-call-for-help.html

Never seen it, but probably a much more useful show.

--
Len Sorensen