mythtv channel tuning on vdsl bell expressvu for condos

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 23 14:33:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 01:33:22PM -0400, Teddy David Mills wrote:

> MythTV is all working, but will only record the default tv channel.
> Expressvu for condos by default uses channel 3,8 and 13.
> I set the PVR-250 to record off channel 13.
>
> Thus if I want mythtv to record something, I have to change my TV to
> channel 13,
> and then do a MANUAL RECORD of channel 13. This is not using the power of
> MythTV's Program Guide and Program Finder.
>
> I cannot use the Program Guide or Program Finder in MythTV. Why is that,
> you ask?
> Because the Hauppage PVR-250 does not know how to switch channels on its
> own.
> This is strange because I can switch them using the Hauppage PVR-250
> remote when watching TV on MythTV.
> (so I think it is 99% correct)
>
> If only I were using Rogers, the channel tuning would be working! (dont
> need anything special to switch Rogers channels)
> However I am using Bell ExpressVu for Condos.  (which btw has excellent
> picture quality)
>
> The only way to change channels anywhere on anything is by using the
> Bell supplied
> NEXTLEVEL COMMUNICATIONS remotes.

Anything that requires a decoder box basically requires an ir blaster to
send remote control signals to the decoder box to change channels.
Capture cards only support over the air and cable tv, since those are
the two that are standardized.

If you were in europe your box would probably use DVB of some kind and
it would be much easier to get something compatible with it for
capturing.  In north america we are stuck with whatever our monopolistic
providers wants to let us have.  Certainly cablecard seems dead, with
the providers wanting to wait until they get their 2way standard
finished instead that doesn't require cards, although it seems that is
going nowhere so far.

--
Len Sorensen