Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 21 21:27:20 UTC 2006

On 10/21/06, JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:36:16 -0400
> CLIFFORD ILKAY got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
>
> > 1. Where is this government policy that is being developed around
> > Microsoft's technologies in the context of this discussion?

> > 3. Who is dictating "the use of solutions provide by a single vendor
> > (especially a foreign owned, convicted monopolist)"?
> >
> > 4. Who is overlooking "solutions based on open standards"?
> >
> > 5. Is this identity meta system a Microsoft technology or does
> > Microsoft just happen to have an implementation of an open standard?
>
> Now that I'm reading Michael Geist's ( Canada Research Chair of Internet and
> E-commerce Law at the University of Ottawa, clearly one of your 'linux
> fanboys' or a 'clod' or 'knee-jerk anti MS', or whatever) blog on this, I do
> believe David made some valid points.

Geist has some good points.

They happen also to be framed in a context that allows the likes of
the privacy commissioner to (at least potentially) accept it
constructively.

He doesn't make his points in a "cloddish" or "wild fanboyish" manner.

In order to affect government policy (which I would imagine OUGHT to
be the point of this discussion), it's not nearly good enough to be in
some sense "right" or "correct;" generating government policy requires
that there be some capability to participate in the relevant
organizational structures, which requires very different language from
what we might "mouth off" with, here.

Merely saying "Microsoft Bad!" isn't anywhere *near* enough.  All
that'll get you is that government-related folks will ignore you.
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.