Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 21 20:36:16 UTC 2006

On Saturday 21 October 2006 14:43, JoeHill wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:41:05 -0400
>
> David J Patrick got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
> > I am somewhat horrified to hear that government policies are
> > being developed around Microsoft technologies. Spam, phishing,
> > viruses, trojans and spyware are almost exclusively the result of
> > insecurities inherent in Microsofts products. Although Identity
> > Metadata could be part of the solution, to dictate the use of
> > solutions provide by a single vendor (especially a foreign owned,
> > convicted monopolist) is a terrible mistake ! Please do NOT
> > overlook solutions based on open standards and open source
> > technologies. To adopt security measures based on the completely
> > untested (and currently unavailable) Windows Vista, is an
> > outrageously BAD idea. It will cost the taxpayer a lot of money,
> > and it will FAIL !
>
> Apart from the places where your capslock key got hit by accident,
> very good ;)

Good hyperbole but unfortunately devoid of facts.

1. Where is this government policy that is being developed around
Microsoft's technologies in the context of this discussion?

2. I run KMail on Linux. Why is it that I still receive spam and
regularly encounter phishing attempts even though those are
supposedly "almost exclusively the result of insecurities inherent in
Microsofts products"? Oh yes. It's all Microsoft's fault.

3. Who is dictating "the use of solutions provide by a single vendor
(especially a foreign owned, convicted monopolist)"?

4. Who is overlooking "solutions based on open standards"?

5. Is this identity meta system a Microsoft technology or does
Microsoft just happen to have an implementation of an open standard?
Note: I'm not asking how good or bad Microsoft's implementation is.
That is another issue.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay