is open office ready for university?

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 18 16:21:59 UTC 2006

Indeed, but if you care enough about technical reports and the
accompanying math, you'll be glad you took the time to learn to use
LaTeX (for the brilliant output it produces).  I do agree that MSO is
in some ways superior to OOo (not in all things, however), but the
question is whether it's worth the money.  To be clear, I am an OOo
and TeX user.  I think the money spent on Office would be better spent
on other things, computer hardware or otherwise, unless you're dealing
with someone else's macros and thus need Office, something unlikely
for a student of almost any subject, as those are usually only spotted
in industry, or maybe in some kind of applied course, but I've never
heard of that.

Also, Zbigniew: In the first year of Ontario high school they teach
the obvious stuff you mention ( Word, Excel, I even encountered Access
for a couple of weeks in Grade 10 CS), unfortunately I would say that
both that and any sex ed in the curriculum need improvement, hehe..

Simon
2nd year Basket Weaving undergrad