Some (k)ubuntu and Thunderbird questions

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 18 16:06:17 UTC 2006

I'd like t add that as well as apt-cache search, you can search using
synaptic, which yields more readable results.

With regards to the panel, keep in mind the difference between panel
applets and tray icons, because I'm guessing that OOo quickstart is a
running process with a tray icon, and not an applet.  As such, you
must stop that process from starting, either possibly in your OOo
settings, or there might be a shortcut for it under ~/.kde, in
whatever folder is responsible for autostarting apps when you log in,
I forget ( gnome user :).

Another useful thing for kde users is how to change the font dpi, but
alas KDE doesn't provide a GUI for this, as of last time I checked
(they really should, Gnome does it, and inconsistent dpi settings have
a big impact.  I just found this page for everyone, which looks like
it explains enough about the issue:

http://process-of-elimination.net/wiki/Control_Font_DPI_in_X

Simon