Some (k)ubuntu and Thunderbird questions

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 18 15:11:40 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Moving over from Mandriva to Kubuntu Edgy, I still have some lingering
> questions about the packaging system (adept, apt-get, dpkg, etc.); any
> help is appreciated:
>
> 1) What is the dpkg/apt-get equivalent of `rpm -qf filename`, which
> tells you the name of the package that `filename` belongs to? Can this
> be searched in any of the GUI tools?

dpkg -S filename should do the trick for installed files.

> 2) Similarly, how can I query the database of uninstalled packages to
> ask what package would need to be installed to give me a specific file?
> (This query was brought on by the earlier question of where to find
> "smbmount" when that is the name of a command embedded inside a package
> of another name. How do I ask adept or apt, "what package, if installed,
> would provide the file named `smbmount`"?)

dpkg -L should list all the files in a package, installed or not.

> 3) In Mandriva, when the notification system said there were new package
> versions to download, it would tell me whether the need for the upgrade
> was critical (ie, security or sever bugfix) as opposed to low-priority
> (cleanup or feature-add). I was able to look at the GUI package manager
> and get a full changelog. In `adept` I can't seem to find anything to
> show me this info in either `adept` or `adept_updater`. Am I missing
> something?

Try using aptitude to read about each package. Also, GUI is fine, adept
or synaptic since most packages (in stable releases) are only upgraded
with security fixes, meaning that they really should be applied. For
edgy though, not sure, anyone know if such a feature exists in any .deb
package manager(s)?

> 6) How can I remove something from the Kicker? I accidentally installed
> a keyboard-changing applet, and I can't seem to remove it. I need to
> close it every time the system boots, and I can't seem to find out where
> I can manually revove stuff from the KDE panel such as the OpenOffice
> quickstarter, etc.

Try right click the the panel, in a blank space, then "remove from
panel" then "applet" and hopefully your applet will be there to be
removed. Otherwise, right clicking the applet doesn't do it? Wouldn't be
skim or scim would it?

Any of this help?

Jamon