Can't Access Public Samba Share

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 14 06:26:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:38:36 -0400
JoeHill got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> > It's just a different way to do it.
>
> Cool. So futzing around with that crappy Win98...thing...ended up being a
> valuable Linux learning experience after all.
>
> I tells ya, 'Windows Networking' is a freaking oxymoron :-\
>
> Thanks to all who replied!

Okay, I thought I had this all sorted, but I still cannot seem to mount that
public share from my desktop without being prompted for a password :-\

According to 'man smbmount':

password=<arg>
              specifies the SMB password. If this option is not given then the
              environment  variablePASSWD  is used. If it can find no password
              smbmount will prompt for a passeword, unless the guest option is
              given.

I've tried every option in there, using guest, using my username and pass,
everything, but all I get when I do that is:

Could not resolve mount point //SERVER1/public

However, if I simply:

[joehill at node1 ~]$ smbmount //SERVER1/public /home/joehill/mnt/SERVER1/public/
Password: Anonymous login successful
[joehill at node1 ~]$

No problemo, except I would rather not have to use a term or LinNeighbourhood
every time I wanna mount the thing.

I can access my home dir on the server with no difficulty, just:

smbmount //SERVER1/homes /home/joehill/mnt/SERVER1/homes/ -o
username=joehill%xxxxxxx,fmask=644,dmask=755,uid=500,gid=500,debug=0,workgroup=WORKGROUP

...and I'm in.

Help?

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046