Japan's Telephone system

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 11 02:27:00 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 12:37, Robert Brockway wrote:

> In some countries the specific model must be blessed by Telco standards
> agency before it is legal to use the device on the local phone network.

Well this seems to be a pretty common warning from youse guys.  I will pass it
on.

I went and bought this modem just to see how it does in Linux,  and if he can
get the same one there and has problems then perhaps I can help.  The AT
command set is very limited in the manual, but I'll see if I can get
unit.

> I can't speak for Japan but I personally never connect equipment that is
> not verified by the relevant local agency.  As I understand it, in the
> past phone networks were very sensitive to non-compliant devices (to the
> point that it was possible to damage the network by sending voltage spikes
> that the network was not designed to cope with).  I'm not sure how true
> this still is but many national laws can be quite tough on this point.

There doesn't seem to be a way to set the country it is being used in, as
Lennart suggested.  So this unit may be something that just isn't worth the
postage with possible illegality of use.

So far the couple of things I sent to him have arrived duty free.  He lives in
a small city on the west coast and the few city computer shops know nothing
other than Windows. As well their selection of equipment is quite limited and
very expensive compared to Toronto prices.  So far he hasn't found any mail
order equipment sellers in Tokyo.

Most equipment is only available with Japanese manuals and being a Yank they
aren't much help.

> Yeah I'm being the voice of doom :)
>
> Rob

I really appreciate all your comments,   thanks.

Cheerio

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can