report cards read-only on floppy

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 28 17:38:28 UTC 2006

My guess is that you've hit what I'll call the "Open Office file lock
bug".  I presume the files aren't read-only in any other program
(e.g. you can say: touch /mnt/floppy/foo.doc).

OpenOffice asks the system if it should be able to lock a file you are
trying to open.  If the answer is yes, it tries to lock it.  If it
should be able to lock it, but can't, then it marks it as read-only.

I have noticed this from my iMac - some NFS mounts let me access files
rw in OO, but other mounts don't and I get ro access (for details, it
works on a NetApp mount, but not on a Linux mount).

I'm guessing Linux thinks it can lock floppy-based files, but the driver
doesn't support it.

I don't actually completely understand this bug, because from network
traces it looks like the Linux mount *can* do locking, but it's a
small enough annoyance that I haven't allocated the time to fix the
problem yet.

../Dave