report cards read-only on floppy

Chris Aitken caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 28 02:07:28 UTC 2006

Chris Aitken wrote:

>> I'm to write report cards in Open Office. I use a floppy so I can go
>> from school PC to my studio PC to my daughter's PC to my wife's PC.
>> And yes, I do backups here and there but I will lose some informaitn
>> if I don't solve this permissions thing. I thought that chmod 777 -R
>> /mnt/floppy/* usually fixes any problems that arise but not this
>> time. Now I can't even get into the files (other than as read-only)
>> on my own PC.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> I'm constantly being reminded everything on /mnt/floppy is a read-only
> file system (suddenly of course). /etc/fstab doesn't agree:
>
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> Chris

I can't even change ownership as the super user:

[root at p733 chris]# chown chris /mnt/floppy/*
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/floppy/news.0607.1.doc': Read-only
file system
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/floppy/rpt.0607.jk.aaliyah.1.doc':
Read-only file system
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/floppy/rpt.0607.jk.amber.1.doc':
Read-only file system

<snip>