Q9 Networks

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 21 22:44:16 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 01:19:23PM -0500, Byron Sonne wrote:
> >
> >In a forum I hang out on, a company called Q9 networks (q9.com) was
> >mentioned. Allegedly 6 years old.
>
> That sounds about right.  I knew the guy who helped them get set up, and
> he talked about establishing their name and first data centre in the
> fall of 2000.  He was proud of them name, coming from the phrase "four
> nines" of uptime.
>
> >Is anyone familiar with them? Are they a 'new' company or did they arise
> >out of the remainder of an old one, or a merger & aquisition, etc?
>
> I know a few people who have used them for high-availability websites -
> they spoke of a space with intense physical security.  As I
> understand it, they have a high-bandwidth non-Bell trunk directly to
> Chicago, giving them one of the truly redundant connections in Toronto.
> This may be a myth, however - I have no firsthand knowledge.

We've got some systems there, and that sounds pretty much like how things are.

I'm not cleared to go in, so I haven't firsthand knowledge, but the
notion that they offer high availability capabilities and heavy
security is consistent with what we were interested in.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)