EMACS and Lisp

Angelina Carlton brat-J4oS66wZXds at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 20 18:12:01 UTC 2006

"William O'Higgins Witteman" <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I have heard a great deal of talk about Emacs and Lisp, some of it
> plainly inflammatory, but much of it seemingly well-reasoned and sane,
> from people whose opinions I tend to trust.  I wanted to try these
> things out, but I have some questions:
>
> 1.  Can I get Emacs to run in a terminal?  When ever I launch it, it
> opens up a separate window, which doesn't work for me when I am logged
> in remotely.

use emacs -nw

> 2.  How does Lisp work?  Is it interpreted like Perl or Python, or
> compiled like C?  How portable is it - if I installed it at work on a
> Windoze machine, would the Lisp code I write on Linux work?
>
> 3.  Which Lisp?  I hear Lisp spoken of in the same sentence as Smalltalk
> and Scheme - are they mostly the same?  Is common Lisp the way to go?
>
> Any personal experiences to share or resources to recommend?  Thanks.

I cannot speak for what flavour of lisp is best to start with, however
if your new to emacs and to lisp, it is good to get familiar with
elsip: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs_Lisp

an excellent tutorial can be found here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/emacs-lisp-intro.html

on Debian apt-get install emacs-lisp-intro, and you can then read it in
emacs via the C-h i interface.
I cant say enough about how well written this book is!

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net
     brat-J4oS66wZXds at public.gmane.org