EMACS and Lisp

Charles philip Chan cpchan-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 20 20:15:24 UTC 2006

On 20 Nov 2006, william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wrote:

> 1.  Can I get Emacs to run in a terminal?  When ever I launch it, it
> opens up a separate window, which doesn't work for me when I am logged
> in remotely.

Yes:

        emacs -nw

> 2.  How does Lisp work?  Is it interpreted like Perl or Python, or
> compiled like C?

It is interpreted, although the files can be byte compiled like Java.

> How portable is it - if I installed it at work on a
> Windoze machine, would the Lisp code I write on Linux work?

It is portable within Emacs on any platform.

> 3.  Which Lisp?  I hear Lisp spoken of in the same sentence as
>     Smalltalk
> and Scheme - are they mostly the same?  Is common Lisp the way to go?

The flavour of lisp used is called Emacs lisp. No, Smalltalk is not
lisp, but Scheme is a lisp dilect.

> Any personal experiences to share or resources to recommend?  Thanks.

  http://www.emacswiki.org

Charles

--
panic("No information about myself?");
        linux-2.6.6/arch/mips/sgi-ip27/ip27-timer.c