does reporting spam to services like spamcop do any good?

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 20 17:13:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 11:44 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I use procmail to dump certain mailing lists into folders, then run the
> rest through bogofilter, which works very well for me (based on the
> training data I have provided it with).  I have found spamassassin
> nothing more than a complete waste of cpu time.

If you run a mail server and want to filter more than one email box I
recommend MailScanner. MailScanner is my choice for system-level
filtering. It is highly configurable (per-user and per-domain), uses
SpamAssassin and all its features, RBLs, virus scanning, and detects
phishing fraud, and other forms of dangerous content (usually only
dangerous to Windows (l)users.)

My server processes about 40,000 messages per day (that's not really
very many by ISP standards) and it traps about 30,000 messages for me
and my customers. In my case I received about 750 spam a day but less
than 4 arrive in my inbox.

Couple MailScanner with MailWatch and you have a decent web-based
quarantine.

--
John Van Ostrand                       Net Direct Inc.
CTO, co-CEO                   564 Weber St. N. Unit 12