does reporting spam to services like spamcop do any good?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 21 00:48:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:44:43 -0500
Lennart Sorensen got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> I use procmail to dump certain mailing lists into folders, then run the
> rest through bogofilter, which works very well for me (based on the
> training data I have provided it with).

Big HUGE 'me too' on this one. Bogofilter is a miracle. I fought for years with
Procmail recipes, RBL's (like SpamCop, etc.), it was a constant headache.

Then I installed Bogo on my little P100 Debian box, fed it about 30MB each of
spam and ham for training and...all of a sudden it got very quiet. Every so
often I do a grep on the spam bin to check for false positives, but it's rare
that I find them. Of course, you can redirect bogospam to a spam folder so you
can check from your mail client if you wish, the docs cover both methods.

Seriously, it's dead easy to set up, the docs are fantastic, and the
developers/maintainers, should you need help, are the *best*. Dealt with David
Relson on the ML with a couple of questions, and then when it was running fine
and I didn't need any help, I unsubbed from the ML.

David e-mailed me the next day to ask why I unsubbed, and if it was because I
was having any problems.

It brings a tear to your eye...

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046