linuxcaffe workskop ideas

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 13 01:23:40 UTC 2006

Dave Sullivan wrote:
> Someone (I didn't catch his name) spoke with me after the workshop last
> night and asked if I'd be interested in hosting an intermediate
> workshop. Do you think there's interest/demand for that? He wanted to
> discuss more low-level things, such as devices and CLI stuff.

At what point does this overlap with NewTLUG (the Toronto Linux User
Group - new users SIG)?
We have regular presentations on CLI, interesting tools (last month I
gave a presentation on the file synchronization program Unison and Gerry
Singleton from the OpenOffice team gave a demo of its new features).
TLUG has already recently done a MythTV workshop.

I'm all for increasing the general amount of awareness, but would prefer
to keep the amount of gratuitous wheel reinvention to a minimum. There's
relatively little in "new to Ubuntu" that isn't applicable to "new to
Linux".

Perhaps, if the interest exists, I would like to suggest to maintain the
Linuxcaffe workshops as perhaps applicable to the very newest -- curious
to FOSS, just installing or  just installed -- and think of NewTLUG as a
slightly higher level (ie, "OK, I have it installed and going, what kind
of neat things can I do with it?") Initial questions -- especially
related to hardware support, installation and initial setup -- tend to
be distro-specific, but the slightly-more-advanced stuff strikes me as
completely distro-neutral and perhaps worth of separate treatment.

That way, the Toronto area might be served multiple ways by its users
with no redundancy:
absolute beginners -- Ubuntu workshops
intermediate -- NewTLUG
advanced/developers -- TLUG