Best Laptop for Linux

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 7 21:55:43 UTC 2006

On 11/7/06, Ian Petersen <ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Gentoo will be an improvement only because I already feel comfortable
> administering a Gentoo system whereas Ubuntu is sufficiently different
> that I am uncomfortable in that environment.  I'm sure, given enough
> time, I could extend my Gentoo-specific knowledge to Ubuntu, but I
> bought the new laptop to save me time (the old one was too slow...)
> and the tech support that I paid for didn't come to my rescue, thus
> the disappointment.

Familiarity is certainly worth something.

FYI, most of the people in my department have had excellent results
using Ubuntu 6.06 on IBM/Lenovo X60s laptops, despite not having much
actual Ubuntu experience.

The only thing that has proven troublesome is setting up
certificate-based wireless access.  And that comes as no surprise; I
am not aware that it's working readily on *any* flavour of Linux.  And
we've had an easy workaround; there is a VPN client compatible with
our Cisco VPN routers that is very readily configured.

There is an attendant modicum of "inherited familiarity" in that I run
Debian on my desktops, and Ubuntu uses the same packaging.
--
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/debian.html
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This