Best Laptop for Linux

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 6 18:40:34 UTC 2006

He hasn't had it for long, but my dad recently bought an Averatec
AV-1050 laptop from Best Buy when it was on sale for $700.  Ubuntu
hung on boot when there was an MMC card in the built in reader (it
resumed when I unplugged the card), so that may be a problem, but
everything else (graphics, wireless), works out of the box.  The
wireless is a Ralink RT2500 chipset, fyi.  The laptop itself is the
size of a sheet of letter size paper, and Windows estimated that it
would have 4 hours of battery life when I unplugged it and hovered the
cursor over the battery applet.  All in all, I'd have bought one if I
could justify it at all, but I can't really.. :(

Simon