Best Laptop for Linux

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 6 18:17:28 UTC 2006

Hi All,

Since I'm in the market for a laptop, I thought I'd revive an old thread.

I was wondering if anyone had experience (good or bad) with
emperorlinux.com?

Also, in general some earlier threads mentioned that Dell laptops are
tricky with linux.  They add a mark up to pre-install linux on the Dell
laptop.  I don't mind paying some markup to be
sure everything works out of the box, but I am wondering if I should
be worried about having potential problems with compatibility down the
road as I update the software, kernel, and OS? I beleive they modify
the kernel slightly for dell compatibility and provide modified
updates of future kernels (but what if they go out of business/get bought
up by someone less competent/change pricing/etc.?). I'm looking at the D820 latitude series
(http://emperorlinux.com/systems/large/rhino/?tab=customize&cust_ikey=D820).

I'd be grateful for any thoughts or advice you might have.

Alex