Upgrading to Firefox 2.0?

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 5 22:47:11 UTC 2006

On 11/5/06, David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 05/11/06, Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > > Actually, as I understand it, the patent abuses will bypass MSuSE and
> > > target any linux company/ coder who hopes to make $1.00
> >
> > It cant' work that way.  If MS *did* try that.  Eg., with the FAT
> > code, you could, for example do this:
> >
> > 1. strip the FAT code from Debian.
> > 2. Take the FAT code from MSuSE
> > 3. Put the FAT code from MSuSE into Debian
> The fun part here is that this time the implied threat is in regards
> to unspecified "IP", as represented by unspecified patents. The threat
> is real (MS holding a huge patent portfolio) and casts a shadow over
> the entire landscape. Whatever it is, Novells caving in to shell out
> royalties on their linux offerings gives at least the illusion that
> the rest of us will have to pay, too.

If you're talking about perceptions, I suppose anything is possible.
Although Redhat's Oracle problems have shown that Linux companies will
develop problems with vague "you must pay me for your free software"
business models.

Microsoft extracting royalties for an unrelated IP partnership with
Novell *could* be wrongly construed to mean that Linux IP is subject
to royalty payments...

If it *is* an attempt to make Linux based business appear risky I
don't think it will be effective.

.... but if you asked me 5 years ago if this RHEL/RHAS crud business
model would have worked, I'd have laughed at the idea.

-Mike