Microsoft/Novell Partnership

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 3 01:35:08 UTC 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 17:48, ted leslie wrote:
> shocked  -- yup!!
> one step closer to the worlds most popular OS in 5-6 year to be
>
> ...... Microsoft Linux ........
>
> nice that Linux final wins, just don't like this new vendor :(
> (not a vendor yet, but give it time!).
>
> at least I can use Windows Forms (with peace of mind) now in Mono,
> for client side mass deployment.
>
> a lot of hippies are going to bail from SUSE (for this), but Mono
> is just going to explode in use, if this press anouncement stands
> up.
>
> I will probably just appreciate this  as just showing how weak MS
> is getting, and not judging SUSE/Novell to harshly on it.
>
> Mono has to rule the world, and this takes it one step closer.
> (the programmer in me speaking here)

Mono ruling the world is a pipe dream. It will always be behind
Microsoft's implemenation of the .NET architecture and despite claims
to the contrary, there are no high-level languages for .NET, well,
perhaps besides VB.NET which aside from being an awful language, is
Microsoft-specific. IronPython is a curiousity at the moment and not
really viable for serious development.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay