MythTV install workshop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 1 18:36:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 12:07:47PM -0400, Simon wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a cheap way of acquiring a QAMwhatever compatible
> card?  I already have an ordinary TV tuner
> (http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=008750&cid=CC.344),
> but I'm ever so slightly curious about getting HDTV input, mostly from
> a geek  perspective, since I basically don't watch TV.  Regardless, if
> anybody here has some experience shopping around for digital tuner
> cards, it would be great for them to share it.

Rogers digital cable uses QAM, but all the HDTV channels are encrypted,
so I doubt the card would do you that much good.  Unless you somehow
have a source for getting decryption keys.  Over the air HDTV simply
requries an ATSC compatible tuner card and the appropriate antenna.

Does that winfast card work with linux?  It sounds like it expects the
cpu to do all encoding, unlike the ivtv cards that do mpeg2 in hardware.
Probably means a much better cpu is required.

--
Len Sorensen