Before you think of being a do-gooder...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 29 20:53:30 UTC 2006

On 5/29/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Imagine if you could have the hypervisor start a special game OS just to
> run your games, and then if the game screws up, you just kill of that
> partition, but your main OS and applications are not affected.  That
> would be neat.  Not sure if it will happen, but I do think
> virtualization support in the hardware gives some interesting
> posibilities.

This isn't a "feature"; this is a "mitigation of a problem."  If your
game didn't interact badly with your OS, then this wouldn't be
necessary.

> For developers it can be very useful to be able to boot a seperate
> system while debuging something, without having to have a seperate
> machine to do it on, while keeping your development environment up.

s/For developers/For kernel or X server developers/

The big wins that come from separation of roles can assortedly be
gained from such things as:

a) Having a database backend with a "test" database and a "production" database;

b) Depending on the fact that processes clean up after themselves;

c) chroot / jail functionality...

> Software as a service on the other hand, I see less potential in.
> People don't like having to continuously spend money on things.  They
> complain enough about gas and insurance as it is.  If they had to keep
> paying to use their car too, well that would be kind of like leasing...
> Never mind.  Maybe people are that crazy after all. :)

... As soon as you stop paying for the service, your documents all go
away, which helps solve the "proliferation of information" problem...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.