Before you think of being a do-gooder...

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat May 27 13:20:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006, Rick Tomaschuk wrote:

> Good advice. Much of the computer business is driven by business people
> who have no clue or care about the fitness of computer technology for
> their applications. Its pathetic. Caveat emptor. Hacking a site is akin
> to break and enter in the physical world which may not be a bad idea but
> many countries don't have extradition treaties so the situation becomes
> much like disarming the law abiding (see: Canadian gun registry).
> RickT

Sending a HTML query of any kind, to an open html port, using characters
from the approved character set, and of acceptable length and format, is
a valid query and a valid use of the HTML protocol. Prosecution or even
suspecting individuals who use such legal (in the HTML sense) queries
for ANYTHING, ANYWHERE is morally equivalent with the prosecution and
punishment of individuals for looking at a public billboard. This kind
of prosecution is in fact performed, in countries like China, some
asian, african, and south american (and now north american and
european?) countries and other Elbonian so-called republics. Orwell
would have been proud of this. I have voted with my feet before, and
this kind of thing happening where I live, would prompt me to consider
that again.

Peter