Host how to

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 26 14:49:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Kihara Muriithi wrote:

> Hi,
> There is this tool called host that is supposed to resolve a host
> names to an IP. I am having issues on how to use it, i.e the syntax
> and switch use to make it helpful. Man page is a little unfriendly and
> google threw way too way too many useless pages due to the heavy usage
> of the word "host" in other context. Would someone be kind enough to
> type a few oxamples of how to use this tool, i.e one extracting a name
> from IP address and the other doing reverse?
> Thanks in advance

    I had never heard of it before (I've used hostname), but man page
    says that "It is normally used to convert names to IP addresses and
    vice versa."

    Therefore, I tried it with both an IP dotted quad and a domain
    name:

$ host ss.org
ss.org mail is handled by 1 dsl.ss.org.
$ host dsl.ss.org
dsl.ss.org has address 206.108.5.1
dsl.ss.org mail is handled by 1 dsl.ss.org.
$ host 206.108.5.1
1.5.108.206.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer dsl.ss.org.

    There are switches to modify its behaviour. What do you want it to
    do?

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson                      <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>