cups and my network printer

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 26 10:23:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 05:01 +0100, zleap-Tp5KeRqLOeNeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> are both the cups ports open thats 9100 and 631.  also you have local and
> network options I had to do trial and error for this but do you need both
> ports open?

My printer doesn't have port 631 open. Is that a problem? /etc/services
doesn't list them as "lpd", they list them as "ipp" (internet printing
protocol). Those ports are open.

ipp    631/tcp      # Internet Printing Protocol
ipp    631/udp

> Regarding permissions I am sure that sometimes when adding printers using
> kde I have to go to the administrator button and enter the root password
> hance setting things up as root.

doesn't work for me, even when I log in as root to KDE. I can't tell you
any details about what got set up the wrong way, because the setup tool
won't let me get past the greyed-out dialog. Something must be wrong
with how CUPS was installed, because even the option for CUPS is greyed
out, as if I never installed it. I had to install CUPS using synaptic.

> also is this any use
> \
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-list/2004-January/msg00986.html

This guy added these lines in himself. The "lpd" was put in as just
being a name. My two lines containing "ipp" were part of the default
settings under Debian.

> to conclude what this says
>
> You need to put an entry in /etc/services to allow the port to be recognized
> by xinetd.
>
> lpd             631/tcp                         # lpd/CUPS port
> lpd             631/udp                         # lpd/CUPS port

While this entry exists as IPP, there is no entry under /etc/services
for port 9100. I guess there doesn't need to be one, since the printer
has to understand that port, not my computer.

Paul