rsync hangs counting files.

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 24 00:02:04 UTC 2006

I've got a basic rsync happening over an ssh connection from my work
computer to my home computer.

It's something I've been doing every day for a while now.  I've
changed nothing about the rsync, the computer, networking, etc.. I'm
just doing it as per usual.

rsync hangs at the "receiving file list" stage.  I am using the
verbose switch and I can see the number of files it's counted to.
This number varies each time I retry the rsync.

I can ssh in, even when rsync is hung like this.  I've already
rebooted the box just in case it was some runaway process doing some
disk thrashing or some such.

Where do I go from here to learn what's gone wrong?

I've already tried patience.  Waiting for an hour did nothing.  The
rsync should only take minutes at most.