Mail admin question: one user, multiple domains...

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 18 14:23:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 10:02 -0400, Aaron Vegh wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've scoured the net in vain for an answer to this question, and it
> may be as much because I'm not sure if I'm asking my question
> correctly. Which is why I turn to the geniuses on this list... :-)
>
> I have a server hosting multiple domains. My user on that machine,
> aaron, wants to have separate POP accounts for the machine. So I'd
> like to have
>
> aaron-WNbSnoOWcWBBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org, and
> aaron-dL8jOpOjefRBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
>
> Currently, mail sent to either address goes to both POP accounts in my
> mail client. This makes sense of course because I'm logging in as the
> same user.
>
> But how can I have separate logins? I've seen where some ISPs do
> sufficient aggregations that they change their system so you have to
> log in with your complete email address. I'd like to keep the same
> user on the system, but segregate the email somehow.

You really need two things.

1. You need to setup your email server (sendmail, postfix) to virtualize
domains. In Sendmail this is done in the virtusertable. This allows you
to route the addresses differently. I think this is one of the pieces
that you aremissing.

2. you need a way to identify users differently. The easy approach is to
create accounts with slightly different names (e.g. aaron1 aaron2.) The
most elegant way is to use the email address, but IIRC this requires a
patch.

For this solution I use sendmail (my fav) and cyrus-imap then would
layer it with LDAP. Cyrus gives you a lot of benefit here in that it
doesn't require operating system users. This way you don't have to worry
about your users SSHing in. Although if that's preferrable, it doesn't
stop you.

If this is for an ISP type setup, rather than something simple, check
out ISPMAN.net
--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.