As of today, free skype out to Canada & US

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Wed May 17 14:12:44 UTC 2006

The thing about all of these communication tools is that they're
inherently  dependant on the network effect. The value of belonging
to the network is (roughly) a function of the size of the network.
Email was a novelty of academia until my boss started using it. Then
it became a business tool. Now that my Mom's using email, it has
permeated daily life.

I think this is an incredibly clever move on the part of Skype. By
providing free dialouts, they allow all the users of their network to
instantly leverage the POTS network. I think that this will actually
_increase_ the value of their system. From a marketing perspective,
being able to say "free long distance" is brilliant. Their dial-out
rates were already cheap to the point of being practically free, but
nobody pays attention to "cheap long distance" anymore since cheap
has become a weasel word.

Personally, the effect that I've observed for this is that both my
Mom and Sister have signed up and bought Skype credit. That appears
to be necessary to enable SkypeOut. I could be wrong, but either way
it seems right to put a little bit of money their way for the
service, and a one-time $14CDN payment for unlimited long-distance
seems a good bargain. Neither of them is particularly technologically
adept, but they've both decided to use Skype for all their long-
distance calls from now on.

I prefer open standards, and quite admire the IAX protocol from a
technological stance. I can't help but hope that the Skype guys will
eventually figure out that it's better to be a major (and early)
player in a massive open market than a monopolist in a small closed
market. Particularly in the communications field, where the value of
a market is so heavily dependant on it's size.

Andrew Hammond    416-673-4138    ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
DBA, Afilias Canada Corp. Ltd.
CB83 2838 4B67 D40F D086 3568 81FC E7E5 27AF 4A9A