Census 2006 -- Linux is OK after all

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 17 05:41:37 UTC 2006

| From: Alex Beamish <talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Linux. This change takes effect May 13th, 2006."
|
|  http://www22.statcan.ca/ccr02/ccr02_003_e.htm
|
| This seems to support the hypothesis that barring Linux browsers from taking
| the census was a bad decision -- or at least, not one based on reality.
| That's pretty cool.

I am still out of luck.  There is no Java plugin for x86_64.  I don't
know why.  There is a free-as-in-beer JRE & JDK from Sun -- I
installed it to try to do the census form.  It just does not include a
browser plugin.

I considered removing 64-bit Firefox and replacing it with a 32-bit
version, but the RPM system balked -- too many dependencies (this is
Fedora Core 5).  I imagine I could have installed an extra Firefox,
but this was getting too messy.

Question for those who did it online: in what way is Java exploited?
Could the job have been done as well without it?