SCAMP, the ugly dog

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 10 03:37:36 UTC 2006

On 5/9/06, Charly Baker <cmb-h7HJ8Pof2EbbR28j2ZUwYgC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > This actually begs the question of:
>
> No it doesn't.  It raises the question.  "Begs the question" means an entirely
> different thing to people who are fussy about language and thought.

Thank you.

It *raises* such questions as:
 a) How many stores are there, in total?  (Answer: ~31000)

 based on a), we might then wonder such things as:
 - How many of those 31K are in the US?  Would that be materially
different from 12K???

 - Would the contract relate to merely company-owned outlets, with
franchises being separate?  That could *readily* explain the
difference between 4K and 12K...

Of course, perhaps all of the above is irrelevant in that it distracts
people from their prefererred activities of being fussy about
language...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.