AMD 64bit-powered Network performance

Dave Stubbs dave.stubbs-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 2 16:20:03 UTC 2006

Just thought this might interest some people out there who are looking
to get their hands on the best AMD64 hardware.

I recently had a chance to put 3 AMD64 computers on a Gigabit LAN and do
some tests. The 3 were as follows:

1. Tyan Tiger K8W with twin Opteron 246 CPUs - on board PCI Intel 82541
2. ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium with an Athlon64X2 4800+ - on board Marvel Yukon
3. IBM eServer 326m with single Opteron 246 - on board Broadcom NetXtremeII

All 3 had 2Gigs of DDR400 RAM

I ran iperf tests in all directions between these 3 systems, for 10
minutes running, like this

iperf -c <ip> -r -t 600

No matter which machines I paired up, they all seemed to push the data
at the same rate.

Here are the sustained 10 minute data rates they were able to support:

1. Tyan: 715megabit to either of the other two systems
2. ASUS: 605megabit to either of the other two systems
3. IBM: 535megabit to either of the other two systems

This is a very one-off comparison, but I ran these over and over at least.

It looks like Tyan makes some good stuff, and IBM has yet to tweak the
performance of their new 326m 1U pizza box.

Interestingly, the Tyan NIC was PCI, but the other two were PCI-X

Anyway, food for thought.